Hand carved cloisonne Greek sphinx earrings with pearl.
A Greek sphinx was a mythical monster, which had the head of a woman and the body of a lion. One sphinx was only considered to exist in Greek mythology; she was the daughter of Orthus, and either Echidna or Chimera. Apart from the human head and the body of the lion, she also had the wings of an eagle and the tail of a serpent. According to the myth, she dwelt outside the city of Thebes, and asked a riddle to all travellers, in order to let them pass. Anyone who struggled to answer was eaten by the monster. However, Oedipus managed to answer correctly.
- Hand carved cloisonné earrings
- Hand painted
- Gold leaf background
- Sealed with a layer of resin
- The earrings are 35 mm x 20 mm or 1 1/4" x 3/4"
- Solid yellow bronze also called jeweler gold bronze
- 14k gold filled ear wire
- Gold filled has 100 times more gold than plated. Does not rub off
- Nickel free
- White fresh water pearl.