Adornments like octopus medallions were worn by sailors to ward off evil.
Seamen understood the eerie magic of the octopus. It’s black ink-jet expulsions and other-worldly appearance struck awe (and terror) in the observer. Hence, it makes an incredibly powerful totem, carrying great status – a symbol of protection and good luck.
Octopuses appear in mythology as sea monsters like the Kraken of Norway and the Akkorokamui of the Ainu, and probably the Gorgon of ancient Greece. A battle with an octopus appears in Victor Hugo's book Toilers of the Sea, inspiring other works such as Moby-Dick.
Octopuses are highly intelligent. Maze and problem-solving experiments have shown evidence of a memory system that can store both short- and long-term memory.
• Hand carved charm.
• Solid yellow bronze also called jeweler gold bronze charm.
• Charm slightly curved.
• Signed in the back by artist.
• The charm is about 3/4" wide.
• Soldered eyelets on the sides.
•14k gold filled ear wire.
• Gold filled has 100 times more gold than plated so does not rub or peel off.
• Nickel free.