This cameo intaglio represents the Goddess Aphrodite (Venus in Roman) with Adonis, God of Beauty and Desire.
Adonis was a beautiful baby, so beautiful in fact that Aphrodite placed him in a closed chest, which she delivered for security to Persephone, queen of the underworld. Persephone was also entranced by his unearthly beauty and fell in love with the youth, refusing to give him back to Aphrodite. An argument ensued between Aphrodite and Persephone, resulting in an appeal to Zeus, the heavenly monarch. Zeus decreed that Adonis should spend four months of the year with Aphrodite, four months with Persephone, and four months of the years to himself. Thus, the myth of Adonis provided ancient Greeks with an explanation for the changing seasons. Aphrodite was still dissatisfied, and with the help of her friend Helene, she eventually seduced Adonis so that he would spend the four months which he had at his disposal with her.
• Handmade cameo pendant.
• Reproduction of a 17th c. cameo intaglio from the Victorian Grand Tour.
• Solid yellow bronze also called jeweler gold bronze pendant.
• Bronze bail soldered in the back.
• The medallion is 35 mm x 25 mm
• 14k gold filled chain option
• Gold filled has 100 times more gold than plated thus does not rub or peel off.
• Nickel free
• 4 mm wide black genuine Greek leather option.