The cameo earrings represent Demeter (Ceres in Roman), the goddess of Harvest, Agriculture, Summer, birthing and Fertility of the Earth. She presided also over the sanctity of marriage, the sacred law, and the cycle of life and death.
Demeter's virgin daughter Persephone was abducted to the underworld by Hades. Demeter searched for her ceaselessly, preoccupied with her loss and her grief. The seasons halted; living things ceased their growth, then began to die. Faced with the extinction of all life on earth, Zeus sent his messenger Hermes to the underworld to bring Persephone back.
Hades agreed to release her, but gave her a pomegranate. When she ate the pomegranate seeds, she was bound to him for one third of the year, either the dry Mediterranean summer, when plant life is threatened by drought, or the autumn and winter.
- Handmade cameo reproduction.
- I made my own mold from a 17th c. Victorian cameo.
- Solid yellow bronze also called jeweler gold bronze charms
- Soldered eyelet on top.
- Signed in the back by artist
- 14k gold filled ear wire
- Gold filled has 100 times more gold than plated thus does not rub or peel off.
- Nickel free
top of page
bottom of page