Hand carved Amphisbaena medieval pendant.
Inspired by the Medieval Book of Beasts also called Bestiary which is a descriptive book on various real or mythical kinds of animals, especially a medieval work with a moralizing tone.
On this pendant is the Amphisbaena beast which is a legendary serpent with a head at each end. In ancient times, the supposedly dangerous amphisbaena had many uses in the art of folk medicine and other such remedies. Pliny notes that expecting women wearing a live amphisbaena around their necks would have safe pregnancies.
She was born from the gorgon Medusa and carried away by her brother Pegasus.
- Hand carved pendant
- Solid yellow bronze also called jeweler gold bronze pendant
- Hand painted
- Gold leaf on background
- Sealed with a layer of resin to protect finish
- Signed in the back by artist
- The pendant is about 1" x 1"
- 14k gold filled chain or black spinel beaded chain option.
- Nickel free.
- Gold filled has 100 times more gold than plated. Does not rub off.
- 4 mm thick black Greek leather
top of page
bottom of page