This cameo represents Medusa, the famous Gorgon. Medusa was beheaded by the hero Perseus, who thereafter used her head as a weapon until he gave it to the goddess Athena to place on her shield. In classical antiquity the image of the head of Medusa appeared in the evil-averting device known as the Gorgoneion. It is now used as a shield for protection. She is the mother of Pegasus.
- Handmade solid yellow bronze medallion.
- Reproduction of a 17th c. cameo.
- The cameo is 40 mm x 35 mm
- I make my own molds and do not use the technique of casting so each piece is individually made.
- Each piece is signed in the back.
- Bronze bail soldered in the back.
- 14k gold filled chain
- Gold filled has 100 times more gold than plated thus does not rub or peel off.
- Nickel free