Hand carved and painted Poseidon pendant with hippocampus.
Poseidon or Neptune in Latin is the god of the ocean, earthquakes, cyclops and horses. His wife is Amphritite. He fathered many children some of which are Triton, Theseus and Pegasus.
In his benign aspect, Poseidon was seen as creating new islands and offering calm seas. When offended or ignored, he struck the ground with his trident and caused chaotic springs, earthquakes, drownings and shipwrecks. Sailors prayed to Poseidon for a safe voyage.
In Greek art, Poseidon rides a chariot that was pulled by hippocampus or by horses that could ride on the sea. He was associated with dolphins and three-pronged fish spears (tridents).
- Original artwork.
- Limited edition.
- Hand carved and painted pendant
- Solid yellow bronze also called jeweler gold bronze pendant.
- Signed in the back by artist.
- The bail opening width is 6mm.
- Sealed with resin to preserve finish.
- The pendant is about 1.75" x 1.5" or 45 mm x 38 mm.
- 3.5 mm thick 14k gold filled chain option.
- Gold filled has 100 times more gold than plated thus does not rub or peel off.
- 4 mm wide black genuine Greek leather option.
top of page
bottom of page